Netflix postpones Harry and Meghan doc amid ‘The Crown’ backlash: report
Netflix is reportedly delaying the release of a Prince Harry and Meghan Markle docuseries after its hit show “The Crown” received backlash from an important figure.
Deadline reported Monday that the documentary was supposed to stream on Netflix in December, following the return on “The Crown” on Nov. 9.
But last week, former UK Prime Minister John Major criticized the show’s upcoming Season 5, which will revolve around the exploits of the royal family over the course of the 1990s.
An upcoming episode titled “Queen Victoria Syndrome” includes a plotline set in 1991 that suggests Prince Charles — now King Charles III — allegedly lobbied for Major to force Queen Elizabeth II to abdicate so that he could take over the throne.
“They are fiction, pure and simple,” Major told Daily Mail in October of the show’s incendiary scenes, adding that no such meeting ever took place in real life.
“They’re rattled at Netflix, and they blinked first and decided to postpone the documentary,” a source told Deadline.
“The Crown” has defended itself against claims of historical inaccuracy, insisting that it has always “been presented as a drama based on historical events.”
Netflix has stated that “there’s never been any documentary from the Duke and Duchess of Sussex confirmed” on the streamer.
Although Netflix has never confirmed a Harry and Meghan docuseries, Deadline reported that the two served as executive producers on the project through their production company Archewell and under their Netflix banner deal.
The outlet also noted that the its delayed release could result from Queen Elizabeth II’s death on Sept. 8.
Markle’s “Archetypes” podcast was paused during the queen’s official time of mourning, which ended Sept. 19.
The Post has contacted Netflix and Archewell for comment.